It has been three days since surgery on Jon’s left foot, and the skin grafting on his right thigh. Today the doctors changed the dressings, and praise the Lord, it all looks good!
Jon then received a full plaster cast from below the knee to the foot. The brace remains, giving stability to the knee. Jon will not be putting any weight on that foot for 6 to 8 weeks. At some point he will receive the first of several surgeries on his knee, but it is yet to be determined when that will happen.
When can he can be fitted for his first prosthesis? Not until after the stump and the skin on his thigh heal. No projections as to when that will be. We are also told that he will not be walking with a prosthesis until his left leg is strong.
Today I was in Jon’s room when the mail arrived. You should have seen how his eyes lit up and how much he enjoyed reading the cards and notes. And the pleasant look on his face as he scrolled through Facebook posts and read his email. We are so thankful for God’s provision!
Late afternoon tomorrow we hope to wheel Jon along the Promenade and over to a restaurant that looks appealing to him. He is looking forward to getting out of his hospital room, into green space and fresh air, and eating some flavorful, protein-rich food.
“Through the Lord’s mercies we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not; They are new every morning. Great is Your faithfulness.” Lamentations 3:23. 24
Specific Prayer Requests:
- Pray for continued healing of the skin graft, the stump, and the foot.
- Pray that Jon could get some longer stretches of sleep. He is exhausted, not only from all the surgeries, but also from his sleep being constantly interrupted, day and night.
- Praise God that Jon is experiencing much less pain.
- Praise for the wonderful support network that our great God has provided to Jon and family.
- Praise for the continued opportunities in the hospital to give testimony to our Lord God’s greatness and goodness.
Cards and notes may be sent to:
PO Box 902
Cairns, Queensland 4870